The Maps function in the OBDLink® app is linked to the Logs function. Logging is enabled in the OBDLink app by default. Every time the app connects to your vehicle, it captures log data that can be viewed in several ways:
- Map view
- File view and CSV file (accessed using the Logs function)
By default, the OBDLink app enables logging for certain vehicle PIDs (vehicle speed, longitude, and latitude), so you can view log data even if you haven’t configured any settings.
You can use the Maps functionality in the OBDLink app whether your vehicle is connected or not. If the app is not connected to your vehicle, you can view data from previously stored trips.
Follow the steps in this article to view map data for your vehicle.
Before you begin, be sure to:
- Start your vehicle and connect your phone/tablet to your OBDLink adapter.
- Make sure your phone/tablet is not streaming to any other Bluetooth/BLE devices.
- Confirm that your phone/tablet is Connected to the OBDLink adapter.
- On the app Home screen, tap Maps.
- You will see a map view with a pin showing the last location where your device connected to your OBDLink adapter. You can use this view to get directions back to your vehicle, for example, if you parked your vehicle and walked some distance away.
- Tap Menu (iOS) or 3 vertical dots (Android) in the upper right corner to display the menu options.
iOS Android Home menu
Trip view menu
You will see several options:
Map Mode - tap to switch between street map and satellite image views.
Select / Select Log Item - tap to choose which log item to display.
Open - tap to load a list of previously logged trips. For details, see the Open trip map section.
Close - tap to exit the trip view and return to the Maps home screen.
Share - tap to send the CSV file to another app, such as email or a spreadsheet app.
Cancel (iOS only) - tap to return to the Maps home screen.
Open trip map
Tap Open to load a list of previously logged trips and tap the trip you want to view.
(iOS only) Tap < (back arrow) after you have selected the trip.
Select the logged item to display (default is Vehicle Speed in MPH).
Note: You can choose which PIDs are logged by following the steps in the Get Started with Logs article, in the Select Items to Log section.
You will see the trip data displayed on a map. The color scale in the upper left shows the PID value from high to low. In the screenshots below, vehicle speed is shown from blue (high) to red (low).
You can toggle between street map and satellite image views by tapping Menu > Map Mode (iOS) or 3 vertical dots > Map Mode (Android).
- Follow the steps in the Get Started with Logs article to customize map data.
Need more help?
OBDLink® is a registered trademark of OBD Solutions, LLC.